There’s so much to worry about when you’re a freelancer. The hierarchy goes like this:
- Will there be enough work?
- I have plenty of work – but do I have time to get it all done?
- I have plenty of work, and I’m getting it all done – but am I charging enough?
- I’m making more money than I’ve ever made in my life – but am I setting aside enough for taxes?
- I’ve set aside a bunch of money for taxes – but will I have to pay all of it to the government, or will I have some left over?
Maybe the answer is: stop worrying. Focus on what is in your control. Do your best work, make a diligent effort, and enjoy every day as much as you can.
Freelancing is full of uncertainty. That’s one of the worst things about freelancing, and yet it’s also one of the best. Every paycheck brings new feelings of triumph.