As far as I can tell, people hire freelancers for one (or more) of the following reasons:
- They need to do something that they don’t know how to do.
- They need to do something that they don’t have time to do.
- They need an extra set of eyes on a project – one additional perspective or external validation.
- They need something done faster than they can do it themselves.
- They need something done better than they can do it themselves.
I try to think of my clients’ projects as “problem situations.” The work that I do is not just about “writing,” per se – ultimately, I’m in the business of helping people solve problems.